Skip to Content

Can Cats Eat Nutella – Is It Safe For Them?

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

There’s nothing tastier than a bite of Nutella. Most cat owners want the best for their cats, so you can be forgiven if you want to give your furry friends a taste of human food every now and then. While human food shouldn’t ever be a significant part of your cat’s diet, a few safe foods might be alright. If your cat is sniffing at this chocolatey hazelnut treat, can you give them a lick? Can cats eat Nutella?

No, cats cannot eat Nutella. Nutella isn’t safe for cats. It contains chocolate, which is toxic to cats and is also high in sugar and fat, and other ingredients that aren’t good for your cat and can contribute to health problems.

If your cat eats Nutella, it can have serious health consequences, and it might even be an emergency. Here’s what you need to know about cats and Nutella, why it isn’t safe, and what you should do if your cat eats some Nutella on accident. 

Interested in checking out the best litter boxes for cats? You can find them by clicking here#ad

What Should I Do If My Cat Eats Nutella

If your cat gets a little bit of Nutella, they’ll probably be okay. You should call your vet as soon as you realize your cat has gotten Nutella, and they may recommend you bring them in so the vet can make them vomit and help get the chocolate and other toxins out of their system as quickly as possible. 

Your vet may also recommend charcoal or extra hydration to help your cat’s body deal with the toxins in the Nutella. 

If your cat shows any typical symptoms of poisoning from Nutella, your vet may also be able to prescribe medication to help deal with the symptoms. 

Here are some of the most common symptoms of chocolate poisoning: 

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea 
  • Lethargy 
  • Not eating

These are relatively common symptoms, though. If you don’t know if your cat ate Nutella, watch for the symptoms, but your cat having these symptoms doesn’t necessarily mean your cat got Nutella or chocolate. It could also be a sign that they are getting sick or have a stomach bug. 

Anytime your cat shows signs of being sick, it’s a good idea to get in touch with your vet, but it isn’t always as urgent as Nutella poisoning. 

Is A Little Bit Of Chocolate Okay For Cats

Cats can usually survive getting a small amount of chocolate, but that doesn’t mean that it’s okay. Chocolate has several components that are toxic to cats, so it’s important to limit their exposure as much as possible. Even if your cat has chocolate and doesn’t get sick, the chocolate will still stress its system, which can have other long-term effects.

You shouldn’t ever give your cat chocolate. Thankfully, most cats aren’t very interested in chocolate because it doesn’t smell much like the kinds of nutrients they need. 

However, if your cat is more interested in chocolate, it’s essential to make sure you keep it out of their reach since cats are notorious for getting into things they shouldn’t. 

What Happens If A Cat Licks Chocolate

A cat getting a lick of chocolate usually isn’t a huge problem. That doesn’t mean it’s a good thing to let your cat have some chocolate. 

If your cat only managed to get a lick or two, they should be fine. Monitor them closely for signs of symptoms for the next 24-48 hours, and check to make sure there aren’t any signs that your cat got more chocolate than you thought since having a significant amount of chocolate is dangerous. 

If you get your cat eats chocolate, it can cause a wide range of symptoms. The first symptoms usually include nausea, vomiting, and lethargy. But if your cat got more than a little chocolate, they might develop abnormal heart rhythm, tremors, and even seizures. Severe cases of chocolate poisoning can be deadly, so it’s crucial to get in touch with your vet as soon as possible.

Veterinary emergency rooms can help support your cat through chocolate poisoning and increase their chances of surviving severe poisoning. 

How Long Does It Take For Your Cat To Show Symptoms Of Chocolate Poisoning

If your cat eats Nutella or gets some other kind of chocolate, it’s essential to know when they will show signs of symptoms. 

In most cases, your cat will show signs of chocolate poisoning within 2-4 hours of eating chocolate. However, that isn’t a guarantee since every cat’s metabolism is a little different. They may show the first symptoms as much as 24 hours after eating chocolate. 

In rare cases, it might take a little longer, but that isn’t common. 

Can Nutella Kill A Cat

Nutella is very unlikely to kill a cat since cats aren’t likely to eat enough Nutella to be deadly. However, that doesn’t mean your cat can’t die from Nutella poisoning. 

If at all possible, keep your cat away from Nutella when you’re eating it to help keep their exposure to a minimum. 

Can Cats Eat Peanut Butter

While peanut butter is technically safe for cats as long as it doesn’t have artificial sweeteners like xylitol, it’s not a good idea to add peanut butter to your cat’s food or to let them have peanut butter from your plate. 

That’s because peanut butter has a lot of fats and may contain dairy products, as well as too much sugar. While it might be safe for your cat to eat peanut butter from a toxin perspective, it’s still better to avoid it since peanut butter can cause digestive problems. 

Why Does My Cat Love Chocolate

Most cats don’t show much interest in chocolate, but there are a few reasons your cat might be more interested than most. For one thing, chocolate contains a lot of fat, which means the smell might tell your cat that there are a lot of calories in this food, making it more desirable. 

Cats might also show more interest in chocolate if they see you eating it. Cats like to mimic their owners as a way of feeling like they’re part of your life, so sniffing and even licking chocolate could be a way of saying that they’re interested in what you’re interested in. 

Unfortunately, it’s also possible that your cat likes chocolate because they like eating, which can make it harder to keep them safe from chocolate in your home. In that case, keeping them away is the best option. 

Things To Consider

A critical factor in chocolate poisoning from Nutella or other sources is time. The longer you wait to get medical care, the harder it is for your vet to help your cat recover, and the more likely it is for toxins to already be digested and causing problems for your cat. 

If you know your cat has had chocolate, it’s best to call your vet or head straight for an emergency vet hospital because the sooner you can intervene, the better the outcome is likely to be.